Saturday, August 2, 2014

1+1=3

     When I first heard the phrase at a Steven Covey workshop that "1+1=3," I paused.  My imagination, my world view, my spirituality, and my grandma told me, "Can beat can't," that there was always a solution to a problem, and that good would always trump evil.  1+1=3 summed it up nicely.  A serendipitous moment when things converge unexpectedly to give a sense of expression to the ponderings of one's heart.  Mixed with the miraculous potential of the human spirit, the equation 1+1 could really equal 3.  Prophets saw the 3 in the groaning world they experienced.  Dreamers saw the clouds transformed into animals and creatures feeding the sky with life.  Scientists saw the quest for answers propel them into ever greater mysteries birthing new discoveries.  Teachers saw the unfolding of new knowledge igniting the quest for success. Leaders saw the progress of their followers supersede that of their own.  Nurturers saw the nurtured expand the circle of life.  Words were written into ancient scriptures, which suggested that one would do far greater things than the Divine if faith superseded the mustard seed's size.  The promise of life everlasting emanated from a dynamic love between Divine, self, and other. 

     I use the past tense, not because I don't still believe these things, but because I wonder if the world still does.

     Solutions, values, the other, faith, hope, success, discovery, education, questioning, respect, self esteem, empathy, humanity, we, honor, creation and life.

     The story begins with these words.  Where do they fit today?   Are they relevant?  Can 1+1=3?  Does can beat can't?

     Does the Divine's promise truly evoke resurrection?  If so, why does it so often seem that the ones who claim to have the most intimate knowledge of the Divine's heart seem to be the ones who no longer see? 

     Let's begin in the next post with a story based upon a real life experience, which sets for me a framework from which I will muse about what I think the authentic spiritual journey really is, and its grounding for me in Christianity; about the U.S. government and how its effectiveness is being damaged by the New American "Christianity" Movement; and about the lack of the sense of value of and respect for the other, which is preventing our country from progressing forward and damaging our national psyche.





2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I like this... Looks like some heavy philosophical stuff coming down the road though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, thought provoking; and, some points are very indicative of how some people are slaves to Christianity, instead of recognizing the true principles which Christ espoused i.e. Love, support for the poor and underprivileged, non-judgmental etc! As far as I'm concerned, Evangelical Christianity, especially, is becoming a very dangerous branch of Christianity, in that the leaders who should be teaching the values that Jesus taught are the ones preaching and encouraging hate around the world. We must do better. Christianity is a WAY OF LIFE!

    ReplyDelete